SENDCO’s and SEND LEADERSHIP- LEGAL DUTIES, CHALLENGES and TRIBUNALS
- Does your SENDCO have a secure understanding of the school’s legal duties for SEND?
- How best should SENDCOs handle complaints and if necessary deal with tribunals?
Tricia Murphy our leading consultant for SEND will work with delegates to ensure that they are at the forefront of practice in relation to understanding the legal and statutory requirements for pupils with SEND or social, emotional and mental health needs in mainstream schools. She will brief and up-date SENDCOs on the most recent legal duties and challenges in SEND and any new requirements for them as key leaders. The national funding crisis in SEND has brought about a large increase in schools having to attend tribunals and so Tricia will outline the role of tribunals and their place in the SEND landscape.
The topics covered by Tricia will include:
- Single Equality Act and the Children and Families Act and their current impact on SEND
- Section 100 Medical Needs and Social Emotional and Mental Health
- Green Paper on Mental Health 2018 and its impact on SEND pupils
- Outline the role of SENDCOs in the assessment process and in devising combined Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and their importance and relevance in the current funding crisis for SEND
- Looked After Children (LAC and Post LAC)
- SEND TRIBUNALS – avoiding them but if necessary preparing for them
- The GDPR 2018 - SEND implications and statutory duties for SENDCOs
- The OFSTED FRAMEWORK 2019 and SEND pupils in relation to curriculum access and assessment
- Advice for schools in embedding a strategy that promotes partnerships with parents, Health professionals and Local Authorities
- Promoting best practice in effective Use Of Teaching Assistants To Support Children With SEND – an area of key focus in Ofsted Inspection
This is a Higher Level Training Day for SENDCOs and all delegates will be given a Higher Level Completion Certificate at the end of the course.
Course Leader: Tricia Murphy: A leading figure in SEND, Tricia is involved in consultations and discussions about SEN and Disability at National level. She is a popular, regular and excellent contributor to our programme. A practical, realistic no nonsense, approach with a good sense of humour!
Audience: SENCOs Headteachers; SEND Designated Governors; SLT Members Course Fee: £250.00 (plus VAT) per place
Course Day: Delegates are asked to arrive at 9.30am for a 10.00am start and the day ends at 3.00pm. Croissants, fresh fruit, bacon rolls and refreshments on arrival; tea and coffee at break and a two course lunch in the restaurant will be provided for delegates
Tues 18th June Park Royal Hotel, Warrington. Stretton Rd, Stretton, Warrington WA4 4NS