The NEW oFSTED iNSPECTIONS AND Assessment in the Foundation Subjects
- Is your assessment strategy in Foundation Subjects ready for the new Ofsted inspections?
- Have your subject leaders developed assessment strategies for Foundation subjects?
The Ofsted New Inspection framework for September 2019 will focus on the Foundation Subjects e.g. music, P.E. history, art and geography. This course will help delegates to evolve their schools’ strategies for assessing progress and achievement to ensure that they will stand up to robust Ofsted inspection. For schools that feel that their curriculum has been narrowed by the national emphasis on the ‘tested subjects’ this day will give them the opportunity to broaden the curriculum by developing an effective strategy for the subjects that are more challenging to asses. The day will help all schools to review and evaluate their current practice for assessment across a broad and balanced curriculum. Examples of good practice in assessment in the foundation subjects will be shared with delegates during the day.
The day will:
- Focus on ‘what matters’ in assessing attainment and progress in the foundation subjects e.g. History, geography and DT
- Keep assessment manageable by developing more simplified teacher judgements in the foundation subjects
- Identify what schools need to assess and record in the foundation subjects e.g. in art and IT
- Keep teachers’ workload to the minimum by simplifying what schools are assessing;
- Recognise that schools don’t have to assess and record everything that they teach. .
- Help middle leaders develop useful assessment strategies and maintain subject- progression in a cross-curricular approach.
- Develop simple strategies for teachers to track progress, coverage and achievement in subjects difficult to assess and record e.g. music and P.E.
- Ensure that assessments are useful to teachers and their pupils in promoting achievement and progress for groups and individuals and that it identifies gaps in learning across the foundation subjects.
Course Leader: Ian Coulson: Audience: Headteachers; SLT Members; Curriculum Leaders
Course Day: Delegates are asked to arrive at 9.30am for a 10.00am start and the day ends at 3.00pm.
Croissants, fresh fruit, bacon rolls and refreshments on arrival; tea and coffee at break and a two course lunch in the restaurant will be provided for delegates
Course Fee: £250.00 (plus VAT) per place
Tues 30th April Bellavista, Rochdale. Wildhouse Ln, Milnrow, Rochdale OL16 3JW